In this case the date and time of the initial swallow screen which the patient passed, should be entered into question 3.4. The fact that the patient subsequently developed problems can be reflected in section 4 of the dataset, which records the number of days/minutes the patient received each type of therapy.
Articles in this section
- 1.7: What postcode should I enter for overseas patients or those with no fixed abode?
- 1.9: How do I record a change of diagnosis?
- 1.11: What onset time should be recorded if a patient has a stroke during sleep?
- 1.14: For an inpatient stroke what should I enter as the first ward of admission?
- 2.3: What should be recorded as the patient’s NIHSS score on arrival if they are unconscious or comatose?
- 2.3 & 2.9: Will selecting “not known” for components of NIHSS affect the audit compliance level for my team?
- 2.4: If a patient is scanned as an outpatient and an infarct is detected but is not admitted to hospital until a later date (eg 24 hours or 48 hours later) what should be entered for arrival and scanning date/time?
- 2.4: What happens when a stroke patient has a brain scan at a hospital and is then immediately transferred to another hospital?
- 2.9: What NIHSS score should I enter for ‘What was the patient’s NIHSS score at 24 hours after thrombolysis?’ if the patient died within 24 hours after receiving thrombolysis?
- 3.1: How should I record a patient who was for palliative care in the first 72 hours but whom then recovers?